The Connolly brothers came from Ireland and at first they set up a business as boot repairers. They then moved into the leather trade.
In the 1920's the Connolly's opened a currying workshop in Wimbledon, here the tanned hides were softened and made pliable. They bought their hides from Williamson of Canterbury, which they acquired in 1936.
The success of the leather works owed much to the expansion of the motor trade. The leather they produced was of such high quality that car manufacturers such as Rolls Royce, Daimler, Bentley and Jaguar used it.
Connolly's also supplied leather for aircraft, the benches in both chambers of the Houses of Parliament and the liners Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth and the QE II.
They moved to Ashford in Kent in 1997 but closed down in 2005.